Translate

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Energy ESM-2

I just finished this pair of Energy ESM-2 speakers today.



These speakers were a step own from Audio Products International flagship speakers the Energy 22's. They look very similar to the Energy 22's but no where near the same build quality or sound stage.

These speakers are well braced on the inside and I added a bit more dampening materiel when I put them back together.


Of course the crossover got a new polyester cap at the same value but with closer tolerance and the woofers got new surrounds. I am breaking in the speakers as I wright this post and I absolutely loving these speakers.



I had a pair of Energy ESM-3 speakers in the past and I am no fan of the Vifa D19  tweeter and found that pair fatiguing, this pair of ESM-2 speakers is outfitted with a pair of Vifa D 25 TG which are much smoother.

The ESM-2 is a nicely balanced musical loudspeaker, the sound stage is three dimensional  with great imaging. This pair of speakers is worth restoring to original or better spec if you come  across a pair in need of rehab.


7 comments:

  1. I just recently acquired a pair of these speakers and would like to kno your opinion on what would be the ideal stands, height-wise I mean, for them. Are they considered large bookshself or should they be ground level? I am confused by your photos since you are using very short stands which will not keep tweeters at ear level as I believe they should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using 9" stands which work perfect in my space.

      Bass will sound muddy if left on the floor, bout them on stands from 6-9" high.

      Delete
    2. I see. I am loving their sound and considering using them as front channels for my surround movie system, would you say they are not suitable for such applications?

      Delete
    3. Hugo, I can not comment on home theatre use as I do not have that set up.

      I am going backwrds in technology and using tube amps, which I find sound better than solid state.

      Delete
  2. Howdy, I just acquired a pair of ESM-2 MK II for cheap with blown tweeters. You mentioned these came with a Vifa D 25 TG. A google search brings up a lot of Vifa D 25 TG-0X (where X appears to be some version number). Is there a specific version number for the ESM-2 tweeter? Would you happen to know offhand where this tweeter could be had?

    ReplyDelete
  3. turn the treble down on your amp or receiver if you don't like the vifa tweeter harshness.
    you could also try the tweeter from minimus 7 speakers. they're very easy to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the post... Vifa D19's I am not a fan of but the Vifa D25's I do like.. Which these speakers have.

      Delete