Translate

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Realistic System Seven

I finally put together the stereo that I always wanted as a kid a Realistic System Seven.

The Realistic STA-7 was designed to work with the Minimus 7 speakers. A nice sleek unit rated at 10 watts per channel.

I picked up this unit and had to replace the dial bulbs and the stereo bulb. I also found the screw speaker terminals to be a pain so I installed proper banana plug terminals. The pots all needed a cleaning to get the scratch out of the controls.

I changed out the Minimus 7 speakers from a 2nd order crossover on the tweeter and the natural roll off of the woofer to a 1st order on both drivers. I like the sound of the Minimus 7's this way.

Click here for the Realistic catalog from 1980 go to page 18.


8 comments:

  1. I had this system when i was a kid.I was blown away by the sound i got out of it.wish i still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got here by pure accident as I was Googeling 'realistic system seven receiver'... In fact I own one in mint condition. I recently reinstalled it in my hobby-room and enjoy it sound very much. I did add an Ace-bass Audio Pro subwofer on its second speaker-output. Just fan-tas-tic. It prooves that 10 W was as good and powerfull as todays 100 W.
    Just last week the bulb from the signal went out. I woul like to open the receiver in order to replace it, but I do not see where to start. I wish I could get a tip on ow to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Therected is a loud sirene sound in my realistic STA- 7 receiver. How can I resolve it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I distinctly recall walking into my local radio shack store and seeing one on display. Circa 1980? Here it is 2019 and i picked one up on Ebay for not too much. All bulbs working and i sprayed some Deoxit on the controls. Best of all, the boss paid for it. With a vintage Technics portable CD player, a very sweet sounding dynamic system. I think we are doing our culture and ourselves a disservice when we gravitate towards "the next best thing". There was plenty of cool stuff I couldn't afford in those days, but now can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have a REALISTIC SYSTEM SEVEN RECEIVER we were planning to get rid of but i dont know what its worth
    It works and is in mint condition because it was installed in a closet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send me a message at bankofdave@gmail.com direct and perhaps we could work out a deal?

      Delete
  6. I would like to know how you succeeded in changing the signal meter light bulb. thx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it was a long time ago and off the top of my head I can not walk you through the repair without a unit in front of me.

      Delete