Translate

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

LAB Series 3

I picked up a pair of LAB Series 3 speakers on spec this weekend. I know nothing about these monsters but I did note the Philips dome mid range and tweeter. The cabinets looked like real wood veneer and the big 12 inch woofers need to be re foamed. On the inside the crossover indicates that they were built in Vancouver with an address and phone number on the circuit board. 1835 West 4th Ave.

From what I have read on the internet, the Philips dome mid range was a copy of the famous Braun mid range. 

Someone along the line also pushed the mid range domes in, it was an easy fix to disassemble the mid range and push the domes back out.

The speakers also came with a NAD 712 receiver with the typical burnt out LED display and back plate bulb. I will probably not put the effort into the repair of the receiver. The NAD is now playing duty in the living room in place of a Yamaha R-5 receiver. Powering the Celestion C-6 speakers I recently refurbished. The sound is very nice with this combo.










5 comments:

  1. These were built by a family friend, he had a stereo store in Vancouver but unfortunately it closed in the 1980's.

    I have a pair of the Lab Series 5 which have dual woofers, they were my grandfathers and are still working great. My dad has a pair of the Lab Series 3 as well and the mid-range dome on one of them is pushed in too (I did that when I was a little kid, I'm lucky that I'm still breathing haha). Good to know they can be pushed back out, I might have to see if I can do that with his. My grandma had a pair of the Lab Series 2 until she moved recently, my uncle may still have them.

    Nice find, glad to see you fixed them up and that there's still some of these around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, There is very little info out there on these speakers, BTW do you know who sold them back in the 80's?

      Delete
    2. Speakerlab, 1835 W 4th Ave. There's an advert in the Ubyssey for them, page 6.

      https://open.library.ubc.ca/media/download/pdf/ubysseynews/1.0126723/0

      Delete
  2. i have a set of Lab 5's as well , picked up from a thrift store for 50 bucks

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also have a set of lab series 5 , use for rear channels on 7.1 , going to look at hooking my harmen kardon up to them one day,
    i bought from thrift store for 50 bucks

    ReplyDelete