Translate

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sony SS-E70 Speakers

I stumbled upon this intriguing pair of Sony speakers and what caught my eye was that they were made in Germany.

There is not a lot of information on these speakers but from the sources I found the SS-E70 are from Sony's mid HIFI line from the late 70's to early 80's. The Sony "E" Series was a step down from their King of the Line up SS-G Series. This series was super seeded by the APM Series.

These speakers were designed and produces in Sony's WEGA Division in Germany.
WEGA, pronounced "Vega", was founded as Wuerttembergische Radio-Gesellschaft mbh in Stuttgart, Germany in the year 1923. In 1975, it was acquired by Sony Corporation. At this point, they were known throughout Europe for stylish and high-quality stereo equipment, designed by Hartmut Esslinger amongst others.
What attracted me was the use of high quality SEAS drivers in these speakers.The 10 inch bass has a cast aluminum basket. Another cool thing about this pair is the serial number, 11 and 12.



When I picked up these speakers they were pretty dirty but all the cabinet corners are square. The vinyl veneer on one speaker is peeling away but is an easy fix. The tweeter dome was pushed in and a vacuum cleaner quickly popped it back out. The crappy spring clips are going to be replaced with 5 way binding posts and the mid range caps will be replaced with Solen electrolytic caps and the tweeters will be done with polypropylene caps. Also the speaker wire will be upgraded to 14 gauge to the woofers.




3 comments:

  1. I have a pair of this speakers and sounds very pretty! The bass are super dynamic and never has got distorsion. Thanks to post some information about this, because I have a lot of years searching information about this. From Spain I'm very pleased to salutate you.

    Gaco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is very little information on these speakers here in North America, It seems that these speakers were mainly sold in the European market.

      The sound is very close to the Dual CL390's that I own, with the Dual's being a bit more transparent due to their dome mid range and better tweeter.

      The Sony speakers have definitely been in the collection for a while, they are hard to part with.

      Delete
  2. I bought my set in the seventies, when they were just released and still use them today (30+years later!). Had to replace a tweeter one time, but aside from that small issue, I am still very happy with them. I currently use my Sony STR GR79ES Receiver in the computer-room with the SS-E70 Speakers and hooked them up to my PC. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete