Translate

Monday, January 6, 2014

Heathkit AR-1214

I picked up an early 70's Heathkit AR-1214 receiver today that was in pretty mint condition. The pots needed to be cleaned out to remove the static build up. The tuning is a bit off on the FM dial but every station comes in clear as a bell.

Right now it is powering my Audio Spec Perseus speakers in my office and I really like the sound stage, surprisingly deep and warmth. Next I will try them with the Pioneer HPM-60's.




The Heathkit AR-1214 specifications are as follows:

Amplifier Section:
Power Output:  15 Watts RMS (8 Ohm Load), 20 Watts (4 Ohm Load)
Power Bandwidth:  5 Hz to 30 kHz (< 0.5% THD)
Frequency Response:  7 Hz to 100 kHz (+/- 1 dB)
Harmonic Distortion:  < 0.5% (@ 15 Watts output)
Damping Factor:  > 30
Hum and Noise:  -60 dB
Channel Separation:  55 dB


FM Section:
Tuning:  88 to 108 MHz
IF:  10.7 MHz
Frequency Response: 20 to 15 kHz (+/- 1 dB)
Sensitivity:  2 uV
Selectivity:  60 dB
Image Rejection:  50 dB
IF Rejection:  75 dB
Capture Radio:  2 dB
AM Suppression:  50 dB
Harmonic Distortion:  0.5%

Inter modulation Distortion:  0.5%
Hum and Noise:  60 dB
Spurious Rejection:  70 dB

AM Section:
Tuning:  535 to 1620 kHz
IF:  455 kHz
Sensitivity:  100 uV
Selectivity:  40 dB
Image Rejection:  75 dB
IF Rejection:  60 dB
Harmonic Distortion:  2%
Hum and Noise:  35 dB







2 comments:

  1. Great post! I have my dad's old AR-1214, and it sounded great! Unfortunately there are two fuses on the main circuit board missing, near where the tuner knob comes through the chassis. By any chance do you know the value of those two fuses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I build my AR-1214 soon after they came out. What year that was I can't remember, but I can say for certain that it was in storage for about 5 years before brought out again in 1994 and used to power a pair of KLH speakers measuring 11"x 13"x 22" that I used to this day for my desktop PC. Now I've gone through at least 10 PC's in that time but the AR-1214 has NEVER been turned off in that time (other than power outages) and continues to work 100%. I'll occasionally give the volume a twist to clear out noise that has build over time but besides that I just leave it propped on its side along the wall doing its thing.

    ReplyDelete