Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

NAD Model 30 Speakers

I just picked up a pair of NAD Model 30 speakers that had been lingering to long on a local classified site.

NAD made these speakers in Germany probably under contract with Braun/ADS/Canton/Magnet/Dual as they use the very familiar large dome mid range and tweeter, in fact the woofer is similar to the speakers mentioned above.






I am pretty excited to have these in the house and look forward to updating the listening sessions.

Update:

The sound of the NAD Model 30 speakers is very close to my reference speakers the Dual CL390's. They differ in two areas. The bass is much fuller due to the larger cabinet size, which I like and the mid range is not as forward but only slightly recessed.

Although I paid a premium for these speakers it was worth every dollar.

7 comments:

  1. Any idea where to get replacement drivers for the midrange domes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a pair of these brand new in the 80s and am still listening to them. I had them paired with NAD 35W receiver. Upgraded to Mac C28 preamp and Bryston ST amp. They still sound tight, I love them though I imagine if I listened a number of other speakers I could be persuaded to change however, for the price I won't for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've have a pair of these NAD Model 30 Speakers since the mid 90's, I never was able to find out the power rating, thinking it was only around 60 they have used lightly, I just discover they were being paired with the NAD's 7155 55wpc rms with an IHF dynamic max.short-term power at 4 ohms is 130/ch. Never know they were made in Germany, beets having them made in China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, these were one of the best speakers I came across, and I have had a few pairs of speakers.

      Delete
  4. I picked up a pair of NAD Model 20 speakers in a thrift store. The store had no ideal what they had, I purchased both for $10.00. I love the sound of the NAD model 20, very smooth and rich sound. The speakers can play almost any genre of music especially Jazz. I would love to have a chance to listen to the NAD Model 30 hopefully I will find a pair someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Model 30's was one of the nicer pairs of speakers I owned. The Model 20's is one of the best 2 way 8 inch woofer speakers I have owned also. The Mission 770's would be the nicest.

      Delete
  5. Any crossover schematic for the 20's.
    Need a cap job.

    ReplyDelete