Translate

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Bose 601 Series 1

Finally the Bose 601 Series 1 are finished, they have been done for about a week or a bit.






I picked this project up as I had a spare woofer from a previous Bose 301 project. This pair was purchased with a missing woofer.

A full re foam job was required on all 4 woofers, extra dampening material was added along with new banana plug connectors.




I left the crossover as is as Bose appeared to use a better quality metal polyester cap.


So how do they sound? Not bad, the bass from the two 8" woofers is nice and deep, the mid range is very smooth. The direct reflecting tweeters are not as detailed as newer dome tweeters but the reflection does add to the sound coming at you from all directions, which is pretty cool.

The 601's from what I gather are the best of the Bose series although the 901's have a cool retro look following but from what I understand do not sound as good.


5 comments:

  1. What kind of material covers the front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ∆∆∆∆lol this post is over 5 years old

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've owned a pair of these since 1981; haven't refoamed them until now, which I'm getting at now. First time I've done this, so hope I can get them up and going again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the drivers in the 301 are not the same and not compatible

    ReplyDelete