Translate

Saturday, February 20, 2016

EPI 100V Speakers

Another wonderful pair of EPI 100V speakers arrived yesterday, following the EPI C70 that arrived a few days earlier.





Any reader of this blog knows that I am a fan of the EPI 100V speaker. These speakers are very musical and do just about everything right. Lucky for me both pairs have been re foamed already, I will open them up and replace the 10uf capacitor with a Solen metal polyester type along with adding banana plug terminals and upgrading the internal wiring..

I spent time with the EPI A70 and the EPI 100V stacked last night and all I can say is WOW!, not often does one get a chance to listen to these speakers in this configuration. One can not put it into words.



I have been powering it through the wonderful Noresco 2570 receiver which I find it to be an absolute gem of a receiver. I have a new agenda to keep my eyes open for more Noresco receivers or Rotel receivers of this vintage, these are worth picking up, believe me.




3 comments:

  1. Preaching to the choir buddy. I've had my EPI-100's since 9-16-1977 ($125 pair). First powered by a Pioneer SX-650 moved up to a Hitachi SR-804 in 1979. Even had them powered by a Marantz 2252B for a few months. Just had them cleaned and checked and am using them in my living room. Have Ohm model L's in the dining room and have been using a pair of EPI-180's for ten years but will return them to previous (original) owner as they were a sorta long term loan. The 100's only weak point is bass below 40hz but that's easy to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up four EPI 150's years ago with a four channel Marantz. The receiver didn't work so I put two of the speakers out on my covered patio with a Scott 370r. The sound amazed me but I didn't realize how good they were. They sat out in the elements (heat cold moisture dust) for 6 years. When I moved I tossed them and put the other two on curb. I now regret it, knowing how good they are I should have restored them. I now have 100v that I need new woofers for. I am recapping and rewiring them and building super heavy stands for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pair in storage waiting to be refoamed. I love these speakers.

      Delete