Translate

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

EPI 100V crossover upgrade

The EPI 100V is a wonderful speaker that has graced this blog an multiple occasions and this latest pair is another example of how a simple internal wiring and capacitor upgrade brings out the best in this speaker.

Once again the latest pair that I picked up got the royal treatment. One thing I did notice is that the woofer had been refoamed already with the distinct signature of Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic all over it.

The old really thin speaker wire was replaced with proper thick copper wiring along with a Solen Metalized Polyester cap. I also like to add proper binding post to accept banana plugs.







This simple upgrade is a night and day difference and always worth doing.



3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Really appreciate your sharing of your steps/photos for your upgrade method. Just curious as to your opinion on why you prefer the Solen caps versus the Dayton 1% that you often see recommended for these speakers. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Solen caps as they are easy for me to get locally at a nearby electronics store.

      I also buy in buck here in Canada from www.solen.ca and have to make the order large enough to justify shipping charges.

      Dayton Caps would have to come from Parts Express, the exchange rate and cross border shipping is just not worth the $$$ to get them here.

      Delete
  2. I had a pair of these for awhile, recapped with 10uf, 5% mkp, can't remember what brand. I didn't notice any improvement with a recap as is usually the case when the cap is on the low pass. I liked these for acoustic music, but felt they really lacked clarity with vocals. They're surprisingly efficient for a sealed design. When I sold them, I demo'd them from a chip amp running off a 12v battery on my truck bed.

    ReplyDelete