Translate

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Cerwin Vega D3 Speakers

Another summer project getting finished today is this pair of Cerwin Vega D3 speakers. These needed a re foam job and I picked them up as they have an efficiency rating of 93db, I figured this would be good for the tube amp.

I sourced the proper red foams and was surprised to see a decent cast basket for the woofer.



The internals had very little sound dampening material in them which would make one think there would be a pretty good back wave in the bass department, I added some more dampening material into the box.


The finished product turned out as follows.




Sitting on the pedestals I found the bass very mussy and boomy, I opted to get them about 9 inches off the floor and it cleaned up the bass significantly. There is still some muddiness there and perhaps a bit more filling is required to dampen the bass.

Where these speakers really shine is the forward mid range and the high end from the horn tweeter. Being forward in the mids envelopes you into the sound, there is a very realistic 3D image presented.

A fun speaker well suited to a tube amp, I have not tried it on solid state but from what I hear these are meant to be rockers, although they do a wonderful job on jazz and acoustic music. 

Update:

Although these speakers have now moved on to another audiophile along with the Altec Lansing Model 9 I really liked the forward mid range with these speakers that gave them incredible front to back depth. I often thought these were the closest to being in the room with the musicians as I could get live.

I ended up adding even more dampening material into the cabinet and it really cleaned up the bass. I would have liked to hear these on a push pull tube amp before their departure.

I will keep my eyes open for this project again.

1 comment: