Translate

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Mission 700S update

I sourced a couple Vifa D 19 TD tweeters from a pair of Mission 70 speakers, They were installed and sound better than I thought. There is  a couple of resistors on the crossover which tames the shrillness of the Vifa tweeter. When I was listening to the Mission 70 speakers, they have a simple 2nd order cross on the tweeter and the woofer rolls of naturally, the shrillness was evident.

The Philips tweeters ended up in the Mission 70 which sound good.



Now these Mission 700S are 100% original and sound fantastic, no wonder I bought these as my first speaker ever.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this info on these speakers, I have inherited at a pair from my my wife's grandfather and love them. I was inspired to open them up after reading your posts and found them stuffed full of one big block of open cell foam in each speaker, any idea if that would be factory original or were they un-dampened? I don't see any dampening on your photo's which makes me question this foam... Appreciate your reply. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mission 700S had one big block of open cell foam in them. The original Mission 700 had poly dampening material attached to the inside panels of the speaker box.

      I guess the reason why you do not see any pictures of the foam block is it has to be removed in order to see the guts of the speaker.

      Delete
  2. Thanks they really do sound great! Did re capping the crossovers make a significant improvement? If so do you have the info on what caps you used. This blog is such a treasure of great speakers, thanks for your reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find they control the tweeter better as electrolytic caps get old and start to get a +/- 20% variance in their values. New polypropylene caps have a tighter tolerance of 5 or 10% and do not degrade over time.

      Delete