Translate

Friday, April 18, 2014

Mirage 450 sound


I have had a good 24 hours with the Mirage 450 speakers originally manufactured in the mid 80's by Audio Products International or better known as API, the same guys that make Energy speakers.

From what I gather these speakers retailed around $450.00 and are definitely a mid-fi offering.

The speakers are very open in the high end by what looks like a Vifa tweeter, the 8 inch woofer digs decently deep to around 40-50hz. I tend to find I like the tightness of acoustic suspension speakers more than bass reflex models. The mid range is right in the middle, not overly emphasized nor to far back.

Acoustic suspension speakers do not over emphasize the bass region and tend to be a little tighter in the reproduction of bass notes. Bass reflex speakers can have a boomy sound to them.

I really like these speakers I would put them 2 notches above a pair of Mission 700's  but three notches below my pair of Mission 770's.

The Mirage 450's are non fatiguing and a real pleasure to listen too, the sound stage seems just right, not to far back but not surrounding you either. Esthetically these speakers are quite pleasing to the eye.

This project was well worth the effort and I will enjoy listening to them before moving them along.


No comments:

Post a Comment