Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Advent 2002 speaker

The Advent 2002 was a Henry Kloss design speaker that was built to the Advent/4 specs but by Jensen International. This is the second pair of Advent's that I have owned. The first pair was the Advent/2W with the double tweeter a score from a garage sale.

This pair of Advent 2002 came in a package deal with a pair of JBL L60t's that are in need of a make over, which will be a project that I will blog about later.

I was pleasantly surprised in the great condition these Advent were in overall. The foam surrounds had long rotted away and the Advent badge was missing from the grill.

For this project I opted to not only replace the foam but upgrade to gold plated binding post, poly film capacitors, a new resistor and copper lead wires to the drivers. While I was at it I resealed all around the drivers and back plate.

The old electrolytic capacitor had a value of 5uf and I changed it to 4.4uf and kept the original inductor.

I have had a good thirty hours of run time on them and they are really starting to open up. The bass is nice and tight due to the long throw woofer and the acoustic suspension design. The midrange is laid back and the tweeter is pleasant without being shrill. They are not nearly as bright as the Advent/2W. I am enjoying these speakers immensely.

More information can be found  here at Audiokarma






2 comments:

  1. Where abouts did you purchase your new posts and surround foam>
    Thanks
    Ken
    gold@nucleus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, I got the terminals and foam locally, terminals from Lee's Electronics and the foams from Main Street Electronics, now closed. Foams would probably need to be sourced on eBay now.

      Delete