Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Advent/EPI Hybrid

I would like to introduce Henry Kloss to Winslow Burhoe, I hope you two get along fine.

The Advent/EPI hybrid is complete and sounding wonderful, I am letting the music play to burn in the film caps. Right now the sound is much tidier with film caps than electrostatics. The tweeter is more disciplined with a film cap and I hope it opens up more as the electrostatic cap is airier.

I put in the Epicure tweeter originally but aesthetically I like the EPI tweeter more, you judge for yourself. 

I first gutted the internals of the box and marked out my cut outline.


I hacked out a square with a small saw. I know it looks rough but I am a hack.


I recapped the crossover to a single 10.7 uf film cap as per EPI 100's. I left the inductor in place as it probably rolls off around the old crossover point of 4000hz.


I reassembled the speakers again and added sealing material to the back of the tweeter to keep the acoustic suspension in place. I do not have a router or a Dremel tool so making the tweeter flush mount was not an option at present.



Next up is to throw it into the line up.



Aesthetically, I like the retro look of the EPI tweeter instead so I did a quick swap.


 And now they sit in good company again.


2 comments:

  1. hi, any chance you have a spare tweeter for a 70c? I am missing one and they are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up a pair off EBay for a good price

      Delete