Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

JBL L60t project

Along with the Advent/2002's I bought was this pair of JBL L60t in need of some serious help. The cabinets are all square and need a little wood filler where someone decided to rip the JBL logo's off.

Woofer surrounds need to be ordered on line from eBay, which I have not done yet.

I was told both tweeters worked fine but when I got home one tweeter was DOA. I opened it up to see that the copper leads from the  terminals to the voice coil had oxidized and turned to aqua blue dust. Apparently this is a common problem for these tweeters at this stage of their life. The glue that they used in production reacts over time with the copper leading to failure.

$80.00 and 1 week later the guys at Vancouver Audio Clinic had this tweeter repaired.

For this project I will re foam the woofers, replace the capacitors with poly film type and change over the resistors to audio grade. I will also install copper wire from the terminal cup to the crossover and then to the drivers.

Sanding and oiling the veneer will not take place until the weather is better outside.

Here is the current state of these L60's.


Add caption



No comments:

Post a Comment