Translate

Friday, February 15, 2013

Advent EPI hybrid project

After a few beer listening session to the recently refurbished Advent/2002 I got to thinking I wonder what these speakers would sound like with EPI tweeters.

Luckily for me I have a pair of EPI C70 kicking around, these are a half done project as I have already recapped the crossover, installed cooper lead wires and 5 way binding posts. The woofer was previously replaced and sucks badly.

I opened up the EPI's and disconnected the woofer leads and resealed the speaker. I did the same to the Advent's but disconnected the tweeters and voila Advent bottom end in original cabinets with EPI top end.

In one word WOW!



I have a spare set of Epicure tweeters that would look awesome in the mirror images cabinets of the Advent/2002. I will simplify the crossover to a 1st. order and install Solen 10uf poly caps as per the original EPI 100 speakers.



This is a mock up of what the end product will look like.


Surprising enough I believe the parameters of this speaker will be almost the same as what is offered over at Humanspeaker, the Human Model 81

I look forward to this project, in the meantime I have to listen to the concept as a stacked pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment