Translate

Friday, February 21, 2014

Acoustic Research AR-15 update

The Acoustic Research AR-15's are starting to get some attention since I brought them home. I managed to find the problem with one of the tweeters, it was a broken copper lead between the terminal and the voice coil. I delicately soldered in one strand of copper speaker wire and got it working again.


I filled the router holes with a saw dust glue mix, another round will be needed. I picked up a can of high gloss black paint to paint the front baffles. I added some extra poly fill and re glued the woofers surround in areas where it was uplifting. A foam ring was also added to the back side of the woofers to create a proper seal to ensure acoustic suspension.



I will wait for the weather to get nicer before I tackle the cabinets in full. I will also replace the 16uf cap to the tweeter when the cabinets are getting overhauled.

In the mean time I have been really enjoying these speakers and they sound absolutely stunning for a pair of 40 year old speakers.These AR speakers sound really nice. these will be sticking around for a bit I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment