Translate

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sherwood S-8250 CP Receiver re-post



 




I picked up an early 80's Sherwood receiver today that was advertised for a really low price due to the unit's not firing up. The ad said it would turn off and on. I figured it could be traced to a cold solder joint.

When I got the receiver home and opened it up I could hear a sizzling sound coming from the on switch box. I pulled the little grey box off and opened it up to find the contact point dirty and not connection properly. Some contact cleaner and sand paper got this switch working perfectly.

I also cleaned out all the pots and switches while the unit was apart.

To my aesthetics, the face plate of the Sherwood is perfectly balanced with the big knobs and buttons and with a beautiful brushed aluminum face plate that is so common from this era. The bass and treble knobs have perfect 5 clicks when turned either way. The volume knob has forty clicks as you pass through the control. There is classy faux walnut vinyl veneer on the side panels. The S8250CP is well built and weighs in around 25 pounds due to the massive transformer.

 The Sherwood S-8250 CP (CP stands for certified performance) is nice mid-fi offering from Sherwood and looks like it was designed to compete against Pioneer in the day. Sherwood is a brand that "also ran" during the golden age of audio and I think this receiver was one of their better offerings. Sherwood was a brand that flew under the radar.

From what I gather this unit runs 35 watts per channel although I have also seen a post that says it is 50 watts per channel, my bet is that it is 35 watts per channel.

Right now it is powering the Audio Spec Perseus speakers in my office and it will run through he gauntlet of all my speakers in the coming days. Very sweet sound with a convincing bottom end, very, very warm.



1 comment:

  1. I HAVE HAD ONE OF THESE FOR 30 PLUS YEARS AND IT HAS NEVER HAD A SCREW TURNED ON IT. OWNED ALL TYPES OF RECEIVERS BUT I JUST KEEP GOING BACK TO THIS ONE. TO ME AND I KNOW ITS A MATTER OF OPINION BUT ITS THE BEST RECEIVER EVER MADE.

    ReplyDelete